ETS’ bid to overhaul GRE to score over GMAC’S GMAT:
In a concerted bid to outdo the popular GMAT- GMAC’s flagship standardized test, ETS has proposed drastic changes, as it sees them, in the current gre.
The official announcement came from the ETS- chambers that the revamped gre will kickoff from August 2011. What will the ETS overhaul the GRE to induce business schools to prefer the revamped gre to the immensely popular GMAT:
Changes in the scoring pattern:
1. Major overhaul in the scoring system: from the current scoring pattern from 200 to 800 in each of the verbal and the quant, the scoring points range will change to a range from 130 to 170. Also the score increment will be one point in lieu of the 10 points currently.
2. Another major change includes allowing students to answer any question in either the quant or the verbal unlike the system now in which a student cannot proceed without answering the current one. In place of submitting every question, students have the option of submitting only the full section.
3. In another major bid to overhaul the GRE, ETS will scrap off antonyms and analogies to present the revamped testing in areas ala GMAT and thus induce the business school admission officers find an alternative in it over the GMAT.
4. Questions in Data Interpretation will increase, while those in geometry will come under the axe.
5. Duration will be increased to 3 hours 45 minutes from the current 3 full hours.